Monday, November 10, 2008

A New Start

This past week has been full of extremes - great times and tough times!

Last Monday Colton had his doctor's appointment at which he got his second Hep-B shot.  From that night through Wednesday he literally screamed every moment that he wasn't eating or sleeping!  We tried to feed him extra, just in case he was hungry due to a growth spurt or something, we tried giving him gas medicine, we changed him tons of times...nothing helped!  Finally it hit me, maybe he was in pain from his shot.  So, one afternoon while I was changing his diaper I gently pressed on the area where he had the shot - and boy did he let me know it hurt!  He screamed a scream of pain and big alligator tears came streaming from his eyes.  So sad!  After Wednesday, Colton seemed to be doing much better - but I was exhausted!  It is amazing to me how two and a half hard days with a newborn can seem like an eternity and take such a physical toll.

On Thursday Colton and I both felt fine and Aunt Grace came for a visit!  Colton was so happy to meet her - he could really sense how much she loves babies. :)  Also on Thursday we started putting Colton on a "schedule."  Really it's just a daily routine - eat, play, sleep - in three hour chunks.  We don't hold tightly to a time for each activity but, instead, watch for his cues.  It seems to be working SO WELL!  I love having an idea of what my day will be like so that I can rest and still get things done, and Colton is responding really well.  He is napping better, is less fussy, and is smiling even more.  I can't believe I waited 6 weeks to put that into practice!

On a down note, though, on Friday I got another bad migraine that lasted to Sunday afternoon.  I literally did not get out of bed the whole time and could not even keep water down!  I get worried about that since I need calories and water for breast feeding so I am on the hunt to find a good solution for future migraines.  Also, I'm thankful it happened over a weekend so Ross was home all day to take care of Colton but I'm not sure what we would do if Ross was working!  More reason to find a solution...

The other fun thing this week is to see how Colton is developing.  He has started "talking" by making sweet baby coos.  He talks to me and Ross, he talks to his toys on his play-yard (which he finally acknowledges - another big development), and he talks to himself.  It's very cute.  I am going to try to get some video of it today or tomorrow so look for that in a future blog post.

That's about it - I'll be back soon with more pictures and, hopefully, some video!

1 comment:

Piper said...

I can't believe how fast he is developing, must be so much fun to watch him grow up.
Sorry about your migraines, I hate those things and hopefully you'll find a solution for them. Please let me know if you do! :)