Sunday, April 19, 2009

Ah, Sweet Sleep


For some unknown reason I have never been a fan of giving Colton a pacifier.  Of course I use it in key situations, like when we're out and about and I need him to be quiet or in the car to help him fall asleep, but rarely at home and NEVER in his crib.  I wanted him to be able to fall asleep all on his own, depending on nothing.
Then, almost two weeks ago, his napping became more restless and my perfect nighttime sleeper (bedtime at 7/7:30pm, wake time at 7/7:30am) started waking up.  It started with just one or two wake-ups per night.  However, he would wake up screaming as though in pain and only a paci would calm him.  Then, this week, it escalated.  He began waking up screaming as many as seven times at night, wanting a paci each time.  I don't know if he's teething (I don't see anything yet) or if there's something else going on.  Whatever it is, though, I feel so bad for him!  He's been tired and grumpy all day and so tired in the evening that he's been ready to go down for the night before 6pm!
I tried Tylenol, which didn't work at all, and teething tablets, which worked for about 5 hours (which isn't much considering he sleeps 12 hours on a normal night).  I needed another solution - both for his sake and mine!  So I caved.  
Last night I threw eight pacifiers in his crib hoping that, upon waking, he would find one, put it in his own mouth, and go back to sleep.  BAM!  It worked!  I only heard him wake up screaming once, for about 30 seconds, until he found the nearest paci.  After that it was smooth sailing. :)  I don't know how long this will last - I still don't like the idea of him being dependent on a pacifier to stay asleep - but for now we gotta do what works!


On another, random, note - here are a few pics of Colton taking his "big boy bath."  He is such a sturdy little sitter now that I've started letting him sit while I give him a bath!  He loves to play with the bath toys that Grammy got him and splash around.  He would sit in there all night if I let him! :)



3 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey I bet he is teething and a great help for us were dissolvable teeting strips by Humphrey's. They are all natural, dissolve in seconds, and really seem to help. I could only find them at Walgreens and sometimes at Target. Caleb was fussy for about two months before we ever saw teeth. It can be a long or a short period. I hope yours is short! Good luck!

Gigi and Grandy in Katy said...

So fun! Glad the paci thing is working. You know how I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a clean smelling baby! Do his little fingers and toes get "pruney?"

Jenn said...

i love the bath pictures! especially the last one! SO CUTE!