Monday, November 30, 2009

It Goes Both Ways

It's very common that Ross and I make idiots of ourselves when we try to speak with people here. Either we act like we understand what someone is saying to us, only to be exposed when they require an answer or response to what they were saying; or we blurt out words/sentences that make no sense and must endure the blank stares and giggles from those we try to talk with.

Today, however, I was encouraged to find that Italians make mistakes, too, when they try to speak English. Last week we bought a new brand of paper towels. When we began using them we found that, apparently, this company is hoping to make a few extra bucks trying to teach their customers English as they wipe up their spills. Every role of paper towels have pictures of things, their names in English, and then their names in Italian. I've actually found these paper towels helpful to expand my Italian vocabulary! I guess they've pulled me in with their scheme.

As I was reading my paper towels today, I noticed a mistake:



Sadly, now hundreds - if not thousands - of well-meaning Italians will be walking around calling a ladybug a ladybird! I hope that someday one of them says it to me so I can give them the blank stare I receive daily, giggling at them as I correct their mistake. ;o)

2 comments:

char said...

I think that's the British term for it. All the Richard Scarry books I have from when my Dad went to England when I was little called them ladybirds, and I thought that was so funny.

G-STOW said...

Ladybird beetle is the scientific common name for lady bugs. They are being scientific i guess, but i would want to know the slang. I guess it would also be more important to know how the british to say it because they live closer.... hmmm. very interesting. I want those paper towels here!