Friday, June 12, 2009

On Our Way

It's hard to believe but it's almost time for us to leave for Italy. We are almost finished cleaning our house for the renters, everything has been packed and shipped, the details for the pets to move to Europe have all come together... we're really on our way!

We are exhausted, I will not lie. Even so, Ross has to leave at the crack of dawn to begin his drive to Michigan tomorrow. Colton and I will meet him there on Sunday evening as we are flying. We will have less than 24 hours to relax there before heading back to the airport for our flight to Rome! I'm a little nervous for all the traveling, especially with the pets and Colton. I feel like Ross and I will be so exhausted we can barely handle ourselves, let alone animals and a kid! Just like everything else, though, I am sure it will work out fine.

As we prepare to leave in a few days I have been thinking about things I'll miss from the U.S. Here's a short list:
* Chocolate milk shakes
* A big, hot cup of American coffee
* Friends
* Family
* Air conditioning
* Clothes dryer

I am excited, though, to see our apartment, explore our new neighborhood, take Colton to the park, figure out what grocery store/markets we prefer, and to get to know our new teammates. It's impossible to wrap our minds around the fact that we're not gearing up for a vacation but a MOVE to another country. We're excited but also aware that it probably won't be long before the "honeymoon" ends and we realize how difficult living in another culture really will be.

BUT, right now it's all about getting ready. I'm off to take Colton and some friends to our house to help Ross finish cleaning it and getting it prepared to rent. Hopefully we'll get it done quickly so that Ross can enjoy his last night in Orlando!

2 comments:

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

Sad! Can't wait for your first update from Italy! Don't keep us waiting too long...PLEASE! ;-) Love you guys!